The Indian Premier League finally begins after a 6-month delay enforced by the current Coronavirus pandemic, and the second match of the 2020 edition is between perennial underachievers Delhi Capitals and Kings XI Punjab. Both sides will be looking to get off to a blistering start as they are both aiming to lift their first ever IPL title, after years of struggle. Let’s take a look at this match and preview it from a betting perspective.
IPL 2020 Match 2 – Delhi Capitals Vs Kings XI Punjab Betting Preview
2 of the only 3 sides to have never won the IPL title, the North Indian franchises have a lot to prove this season. In their head to head record, these teams have faced each other 26 times, with Kings XI Punjab winning 16 times while Delhi have won 10 matches.
Delhi Capitals suffered a double blow as Jason Roy and Chris Woakes both pulled out of the tournament, citing personal reasons. This leaves them short of an explosive opener as well as a bowling all-rounder. Along with that, Alex Carey and Daniel Sams will not be playing this match as they are coming from England following their ODI series there.
Kings Xi Punjab have a star-studded overseas line-up, but a few of them will be unavailable for the first couple of matches. Glenn Maxwell and Chris Jordan were an integral part of the England Vs Australia ODI series, and will only be eligible to play after 2 weeks,
Betting Preview, Picks And Prediction
To Win The Match
Delhi Capitals are the favourites to win the match with odds of 1.72 as per Bet365. They have been regarded as the dark horses to win the title this season, and have a very strong Indian batting core which makes them a force to be reckoned with. Punjab to win has odds of 2.10, as per Bet 365, which is not surprising as they are missing many key players for this match.
Top Team Batsman
Last season’s top scorer Shikhar Dhawan is the favourite to be Delhi’s top batsman in this match with odds of 3.75. His opening partner Prithvi Shaw has odds of 4.33, while captain Shreyas Iyer has odds of 5.00.
KL Rahul is the favourite to be the top batsman from Kings XI, with odds of 3.50, while the ever-dangerous Chris Gayle has odds of 4.00. Mayank Agarwal at 5.00 is also a decent shout as he is fairly consistent up the order.
Highest Opening Partnership
Both these teams have solid openers, with Rahul and Gayle capable of demolishing bowling attacks and Shaw and Dhawan always giving Delhi those vital quick runs in the beginning. Both these pairs have had plenty of big partnerships before. Therefore, both the teams are equally poised at 1.90 for the highest opening partnership.
Total Runs In The Match
This is a very attractive marker as odds of there being more than 320.5 runs in this match are 1.83, as per Bet 365. Both these teams have very deep batting lineups, full of big hitters, and can easily score past the average required score per team i.e. 161 in this case. That being said, the odds for there to be 11 or more sixes in this match are 1.83, something which can be easily achieved considering the number of big hitters in either side.
Individual Player Betting
- Shikhar Dhawan to score more than 23.5 runs has odds of 1.83, a testament to his consistency at the top, while KL Rahul to score more than 23.5 runs has odds of 1.72. Chris Gayle to score more than 21.5 runs has impressive odds of 1.80, something he can do in one over!
- Chris Gayle to hit 2 or more sixes has odds of 1.90, which is very tempting as he has hit the highest number of sixes in IPL history. Shikhar Dhawan to hit just 1 six has odds of 1.80. Gayle is also the favourite to hit the most sixes with odds of 5.50.
- Kagiso Rabada to take 2 or more wickets has odds of 1.90, while Shami to take 1 or more wickets has odds of 1.44.
Our Top Betting Picks
- DC to win the match @ 1.72
- Chris Gayle to hit 2 or more sixes @ 1.90
- Kagiso Rabada to take 2 or more wickets @ 1.90
- Kagiso Rabada to be Delhi’s top bowler @3.50