When most think of gambling in the United States, Las Vegas is often the first thought that comes to mind. While Nevada is the gambling hub in the US, many other states have rapidly expanding casino and sports betting industries. In 2017, a law referred to as PASPA that banned sports betting outside of Nevada, was overturned, opening the flood gates to legal sports betting and online casinos on a state by state basis and started a new gambling boom in the US.
If you find yourself traveling to the US, we got you covered on all things gambling in the US. We have teamed up with our friends at ATS.io, Sqore.com and Casinotalk.com to bring you everything you need to know including where you can bet, what sportsbooks are available and how to take advantage of all the top free money offers at both the sportsbooks and online casinos.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in the United States?
Yes, but it works a little differently in the US. When PASPA was overturned by the national government, it did not automatically make it legal throughout the whole US. The United States leaves all gambling law up to the individual states, so while sports betting is legal in almost half the states, there are still several that have not created laws to legalize sports betting.
Are Online Casinos Legal in the United States?
Yes, but similar to online sports betting, each state can make its own decision on whether or not online casinos can operate within their borders. At this point, only Michigan, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and New Jersey offer online casinos.
What are the Top Online Sportsbooks in the US?
- Legal States: NJ, MI, PA, CO, IN, AZ, DC, IA, TN, VA, NV, WV, NY, LA, IL, KS
- Full Sportsbook Review: BetMGM Sportsbook
- Known For: Huge selection of prop bets, stellar interface, full slate of weekly promos
- Top Promo: Bet $10, Get $200
- Legal States: CO, IL, NJ, AZ, IN, IA, NH, PA, WV, TN, MI, VA, WY, NY, CT, LA, KS
- Full Sportsbook Review: DraftKings Sportsbook Review
- Known For: Weekly Promos, huge selection of betting options, DFS
- Top Promo: Bet $5, Get $200
- Legal States: NJ, MI, IN, IL, PA, CO, TN, WV, VA, IA, AZ, NY, LA, WY, CT, KS
- Full Sportsbook Review: FanDuel Sportsbook Review
- Known For: Stellar Betting Lines, Weekly Promos, DFS
- Top Promo: No Sweat First Bet up to $1,000
- Legal States: AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, MI, PA, VA, WV, NY, LA
- Full Sportsbook Review: BetRivers Sportsbook Review
- Known For: Best Loyalty Program, Betting Markets, Daily Odds Boosts
- Top Promo: Risk-Free Bet up to $500
- Legal States: AZ, IA, IN, NJ, PA, VA
- Full Sportsbook Review: Unibet Sportsbook Review
- Known For: New Player Offer, Easy to use, Parlay Boosts
- Top Promo: Bet $50, Get $200 (AZ Only)
- Legal States: NJ, PA, AZ, NV, IN, TN, WV, MI, IA, CO, LA, NY, IL, WY, KS
- Full Sportsbook Review: Caesars Sportsbook Review
- Known For: Backed by William Hill, Tons of betting markets
- Top Promo: First Bet on Caesars up to $1,250
What States Offer Online Sports Betting?
In the United States, if you want to wager on sports, you must have two feet firmly planted within a legal gambling state. The online sportsbooks use geolocation software to verify that you are within the state borders. Let's take a look at what states offer online sports betting.
Arizona Sports Betting
- Launch Date: September 2021
- Full Market Breakdown: Arizona Sports Betting
- Top AZ promo Offers: Arizona Bonus Codes
Arizona launched its online sports betting market in September of 2021. In order to operate online sports betting, Arizona sportsbooks must partner with either a Tribal casino or one of the many professional sports teams in the state.
Arizona state law allows for up to 20 legal online sportsbooks and retail sportsbooks that are located at the Tribal Casino or at the sports venues partnered with the online sportsbooks.
Colorado Sports Betting
- Launch Date: May 2020
- Full Market Breakdown: Colorado Sports Betting
- Top CO Promo Offers: Colorado Bonus Codes
While Colorado is not known for being a market leader in the US casino market, the state boasts 33 retail casinos spread out throughout the state. Each retail casino has the ability to partner with an online sportsbook to offer both retail and online sports betting.
With one of the lowest tax rates in the US Market, Colorado is a very operator-friendly state. All the big names in online sports betting have launched in The Centennial State, along with plenty of first-timers entering this booming sports betting market.
Connecticut Sports Betting
- Launch Date: October 2021
- Full Market Breakdown: Connecticut Sports Betting
- Top CT Promo Offers: Connecticut Bonus Codes
The small but mighty state of Connecticut is one of the most limited sports betting markets in the US, and only offers three options when it comes to online sports betting. The state's two Tribal Casinos, Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods casino, got the first two licenses with the third going to the CT State lottery.
Despite Connecticut being a small market, three of the biggest names in online sports betting were able to secure licenses in the state. DraftKings partnered with Foxwoods, FanDuel partnered with Mohegan Sun and SugarHouse partnered with the CT Lottery to offer both retail and online sports betting.
Illinois Sports Betting
- Launch Date: March 2020
- Full Market Breakdown: Illinois Sports Betting
- Top IL Promo Offers: Illinois Bonus Codes
With over 12.5 million residents and nearly a dozen retail casinos, Illinois is one of the largest gambling markets in the US. Sports betting is legal and live throughout the state at racetracks, off-track betting parlors, retail casinos, and online throughout the state.
Similar to most other betting markets in the US, online sportsbooks must partner with a retail casino or racetrack in order to operate within the state and initially registration had to be done in person at one of the retail sportsbooks. Governor Pritzker eventually lifted the in-person rule and registration can be done remotely.
Indiana Sports Betting
- Launch Date: September 2019
- Full Market Breakdown: Indiana Sports Betting
- Top IN Promo Offers: Indiana Bonus Codes
Indiana’s sports betting market launched in 2019 and has grown to over a dozen online sportsbooks and even more retail sportsbooks spread throughout the state. Sports betting is not contained to casinos as Indiana law allows for racetracks, riverboats and off-track betting parlors to also offer sports betting.
Whether you are betting in person at one of the retail sportsbooks or pulling out your cellphone, Indiana has you covered with all the top sportsbook companies in the country including BetMGM, FanDuel, DraftKings and more.
Iowa Sports Betting
- Launch Date: August 2019
- Full Market Breakdown: Iowa Sports Betting
- Top IA Promo Offers: Iowa Bonus Codes
In what was considered the second wave of sportsbook launching in the US betting market, Iowa placed its first bets in the summer of 2019. With over 20 retail sportsbooks spread through the state and a full slate of online sportsbooks, there is no shortage of options to place your bets in Hawkeye State.
Kansas Sports Betting
- Launch Date: September 2022
- Full Market Breakdown: Kansas Sports Betting
- Top KS Promo Offers: Kansas Bonus Codes
There are only four retail casinos in the state, but each casino can partner with up to three online sportsbooks capping the online sportsbook market at 12. In September of 2022, when Kansas sports betting launched, we saw many of the big names including Caesars, FanDuel, DraftKings and BetMGM go live from day 1.
Louisiana Sports Betting
- Launch Date: January 2022
- Full Market Breakdown: Louisiana Sports Betting
- Top LA Promo Offers: Louisiana Bonus Codes
Louisiana is known for its food, and nightlife and is a popular destination for travelers throughout the world. The state legalized sports betting in 2021 and officially launched in January 2022, but not everywhere. Louisiana is broken down into 64 parishes, and when all was said and done, sports betting is now legal in 55 of those 64.
All 19 retail casinos in the state are eligible to partner with online sportsbooks in order to offer retail and online sports betting. As is true with most sports betting markets in the US, we saw FanDuel, BetMGM, DraftKings and Caesars all go live within the first week.
Michigan Sports Betting
- Launch Date: March 2020
- Full Market Breakdown: Michigan Sports Betting
- Top MI Promo Offers: Michigan Bonus Codes
The timing for a Michigan online sports betting launch could not have been worse, as the launch of sports betting coincided with the covid-19 pandemic in the US and the shutdown of all professional sports in the US. This did not stop Michigan from quickly becoming one of the top online gambling markets as Michigan also launched online casinos at the same time.
Michigan is consistently one of the top states in terms of betting handle month over month and boasts 12 online sportsbooks and close to 20 retail casinos throughout the state.
New Jersey Sports Betting
- Launch Date: June 2018
- Full Market Breakdown: New Jersey Sports Betting
- Top NJ Promo Offers: New Jersey Bonus Codes
We all have New Jersey to thank for the online gambling boom in the US, as NJ Governor Chris Christie led the fight to overturn PASPA. New Jersey was first to launch in June of 2018 and is consistently a leader in both the online sports betting and online casino markets.
With over 20 active online sportsbooks and more coming soon, New Jersey has one of the most competitive markets in the US. When there is competition, the consumer wins as New Jersey sportsbooks and online casinos offer some of the biggest new players offers anywhere in the US.
New York Sports Betting
- Launch Date: January 2022
- Full Market Breakdown: New York Sports Betting
- Top NY Promo Offers: New York Bonus Codes
After years of back and forth in the New York legislature, online sports betting finally launched in January 2022. One of the most anticipated state launches, New York set records for most registrations in the first week in the sports betting realm.
There are around a dozen retail sportsbooks located at both commercial casinos and Tribal casinos throughout the state. New York has one of the highest tax rates in the country making it not so friendly to new sportsbooks trying to launch, but this did not scare away several of the big names from staking their claim in a state that has over 18 million residents.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting
- Launch Date: May 2019
- Full Market Breakdown: Pennsylvania Sports Betting
- Top PA Promo Offers: Pennsylvania Bonus Codes
Pennsylvania lawmakers set the stage for legal sports betting within state lines long before PASPA was overturned. The state preemptively legalized sports betting in 2017 in anticipation of PASPA being overturned, but despite this foresight, it still took over a year for the first sportsbook to start taking bets.
With a population of nearly 13 million and 14 retail casinos, Pennsylvania is one of the top gambling markets in the US. Each retail casino can partner with one online sportsbook and unlimited online casinos.
Tennessee Sports Betting
- Launch Date: November 2020
- Full Market Breakdown: Tennessee Sports Betting
- Top TN Promo Offers: Tennessee Bonus Codes
With no retail casinos or legal gambling prior to 2020, Tennessee was one of the more surprising state launches. Tennessee is the only state that has launched online sports betting with no retail options available. The state has some quirky laws attached to sports betting including a mandatory 10% hold for all sportsbooks, which could affect odds on some bet types.
Virginia Sports Betting
- Launch Date: January 2021
- Full Market Breakdown: Virginia Sports Betting
- Top VA Promo Offers: Virginia Bonus Codes
The Virginia gambling market is being built from scratch after legalizing all forms of gambling in the state back in 2020. Not only is the online sports betting and igaming market getting its start, but several retail casinos are being built that should open their doors in the next year.
There are no professional sports teams in Virginia at the moment, but in an attempt to draw teams to the state, Virginia law allows for retail sports betting at practice facilities and stadiums if any were to open up shop in the future.
What States Offer Online Casinos?
While sports betting is growing at a rapid pace, currently only four states offer online casinos. Lets take a look at where you can play all your favorite casino games from the comfort of your computer or mobile device.
Top New Player Promos
What are the Top US Betting Markets?
In the US, they are fanatical about their NFL Football, but you can bet on almost every professional sport around the world including but not limited to:
- NFL Football
- MLB Baseball
- NBA Basketball
- NHL Hockey
- College Basketball
- NCAA Football
- PGA Tour Golf