Kings XI Punjab are one of only 3 teams that have never won the IPL title. Mumbai Indians, on the other hand are the most successful IPL franchise with 4 titles to their name. These two sides have met 25 times in IPL history, with MI winning 14 times and Kings winning the other 11.
MI are currently sitting second in the league table, with 5 wins in 7 matches. After a couple of damaging defeats to arch-rivals CSK and RCB, MI recovered well to put up a mammoth score against Sunrisers Hyderabad, highlighting their deep batting line-up.
Rohit Sharma and De Kock both have played some big innings each, but the most encouraging aspect is the form of their middle and lower batting order, with Pollard and the Pandya brothers helping them explode towards the end. They recorded an impressive win against the current table-toppers DC and followed that up with another dominant win over KKR.
KXIP looked to be in incredible batting form initially. Both their openers, Rahul and Mayank have played two big innings each, including a century each as well. They have scored 200+ runs twice already, although their bowling has repeatedly failed them as RR managed to chase down the highest score in IPL history against them. This disbalance has caused them to lost 4 matches in a row, and they are currently bottom of the table with just 1 win in 6 matches.
They lost to SRH by a huge margin of 69 runs, but the performance of Pooran will be encouraging, as the over reliance on the openers has cost them so far. They suffered another heartbreak vs KKR as they lost by just 2 runs, after Glenn Maxwell came within inches of the boundary rope when they needed a 6 to tie the match. Finally, their patience paid off as they managed to beat RCB to end a streak of 4 straight defeats.
Betting Preview, Picks And Prediction
To Win The Match
Mumbai Indians are the favourites to win the match with odds of 1.62 as per LeoVegas, which is not surprising considering they are in impeccable form of late, with 5 consecutive wins. KXIP have won only 1 of their last 5 matches, and though they look stronger now with the return of Chris Gayle, they are heavy underdogs with odds of 2.30.
Top Team Batsman
Quinton De Kock and Rohit Sharma are again favourites from MI to be the top scorers, with odds of 4.00 and 3.50 respectively, and both are expected to give a solid start again. Suryakumar Yadav has been very consistent after them and is 4.50 to be the top scorer in this match.
After his consistent form all season, KL Rahul is the favourite to be Punjab’s top batsman, with odds of 3.00. He is followed by his opening partner Mayank Agarwal at 3.50, which is tempting as he has been in equally brilliant form. However, both of them have failed in recent matches, with only Nicholas Pooran (4.50) performing brilliantly. Chris Gayle’s return has changed things, with the big West Indian joint second-favourite to be the top scorer at 3.50.
Highest Opening Partnership
Both these teams are equally poised at 1.90 to have the highest opening partnership. This is primarily because though De Kock and Rohit are an experienced pair who posted a big partnership against KKR as well, KXIP now have Gayle back, and he along with Rahul can be explosive up top.
Top Team Bowler
Mohammed Shami is the favourite to be the top bowler for Punjab at 3.50, with Cottrel at 4.00 another attractive option.
Jasprit Bumrah is MI’s favourite to be the top bowler with odds of just 3.50, a testament to his wicket taking ability in the death overs. Followed by Trent Boult at 4.00.
Total Runs In The Match
Odds of there being more than 333.5 runs in this match are 1.76, as per LeoVegas. This seems highly achievable as both these teams have strong batsmen, and can easily post some big scores.
Individual Player Betting
- Rohit Sharma to score more than 25.5 runs has odds of 1.87 as per LeoVegas , which is a tempting bet as he would like to give another quick start to his team as always and is in decent form. KL Rahul to score more than 28.5 runs has odds of 1.82 as per LeoVegas , which is a tempting bet as he is one of the most consistent batsmen in the league right now.
- Mumbai to hit the most sixes has odds of 2.05, which is understandable as they have several players who can clear the ropes. The Pandya brothers, Rohit Sharma, Pollard and De Kock all are known for their big hits. KXIP to hit the most sixes has odds of 2.08, just slightly better, primarily because of the game-changer known as Gayle.
- Bumrah to take 2 or more wickets has odds of 2.10 which is a given with his form, while Shami to take 2 or more wickets has odds of 2.40, which is attractive as he can snap up death-over wickets.
Our Top Betting Picks
- KXIP to win the match @2.30
- KXIP to hit the most sixes @2.08
- KXIP to have the Highest Opening Partnership @1.80
- Bumrah to be MI’s top wicket-taker @3.50.
Dream 11 Preview
Our Dream XI team for this match is top-heavy with 2 wicket-keepers, 5 batsmen, 1 all-rounder and 3 bowlers.