These 2 sides are considered as the fiercest rivals in the IPL, sharing 7 titles amongst them. They have faced each other 29 times with Mumbai Indians winning 17 of those matches, and CSK winning the other 12. In the 2019 IPL, Mumbai Indians completed a remarkable turnaround from a losing cause, and beat CSK by just 1 run to lift their record 4th trophy. In the first match of this season, CSK managed to get an impressive win over MI, however both teams proceeded to have a very contrasting season ahead.
CSK started the IPL in great fashion, by beating the favourites Mumbai Indians, however they have struggled massively ever since. Missing key players, they lost back to back matches against Rajasthan Royals and Delhi Capitals, and were near the bottom of the league table. However a comprehensive victory over KXIP had elevated them to the 5th spot, as their openers completely decimated the opposition. But then, the batting again failed as they failed to chase down a moderate score against KKR. This has become a recurring issue for Chennai as their top-order failed against RCB as well. However, they bounced back strongly with a 20 run win over SRH, before succumbing to a damaging defeat against the table-toppers DC. This was followed by another pathetic and one-sided defeat against fellow strugglers Rajasthan Royals.
MI are currently sitting second in the league table, with 5 wins in 7 matches. After a couple of damaging defeats to arch-rivals CSK and RCB, MI recovered well to put up a mammoth score against Sunrisers Hyderabad, highlighting their deep batting line-up. Rohit Sharma and De Kock both have played some big innings each, but the most encouraging aspect is the form of their middle and lower batting order, with Pollard and the Pandya brothers helping them explode towards the end. They recorded an impressive win against the current table-toppers DC and followed that up with another dominant win over KKR. However, they lost their previous match in dramatic fashion against KXIP, as the matched ended with 2 super overs !
Betting Preview, Picks And Prediction
To Win The Match
MI are the favourites to win the match with odds of 1.60 as per LeoVegas, which is not surprising considering they are in decent form of late comparatively, with 4 wins in their last 5 matches. CSK have been struggling, in comparison, winning just 1 match out of their last 5 matches this season, and are 2.35 to win this match. They lost their last match with a very poor batting performance against RR.
Top Team Batsman
Faf Du Plessis is the favourite from CSK to be the top scorer, with odds of 3.75, while his fellow opener Shane Watson, who was the top scorer in the previous match, has odds of 4.50. The impressive Rayudu has odds of 4.00, and would be looking bounce back with a solid innings.
Quinton De Kock and Rohit Sharma are again favourites from MI to be the top scorers, with odds of 3.60 and 3.50 respectively, and both are expected to give a solid start again. Suryakumar Yadav has been very consistent after them and is 4.50 to be the top scorer in this match.
Highest Opening Partnership
MI are favourites at 1.75 to have the highest opening partnership in this match. This is primarily because they have a fixed opening pair, who have both been prolific this season, unlike CSK who have experimented several times with their opening combination.
Top Team Bowler
Sam Curran is the favourite from CSK to be the top bowler at 4.00, followed by experienced leggie Piyush Chawla at 5.00, Josh Hazelwood at 4.50 and Chahar at 4.50.
Jasprit Bumrah is MI’s favourite to be the top bowler with odds of just 3.50, a testament to his wicket taking ability in the death overs. Followed by Trent Boult at 4.00.
Total Runs In The Match
Odds of there being more than 363.5 runs in this match are 1.73, as per LeoVegas. This seems highly achievable as both these teams have some brilliant batsmen and are known for posting huge totals, and the average score at Sharjah this season has been 190+, because of its very short boundaries.
Individual Player Betting
- Quinton De Kock to score more than 25.5 runs has odds of 1.87 as per LeoVegas , which is a tempting bet as he would like to give another quick start to his team as always and is in decent form. Du Plessis to score more than 26.5 runs also has odds of 1.87, which is also a tempting bet as he would like to continue his current form.
- Mumbai to hit the most sixes has odds of 1.70, which is understandable as they have several players who can clear the ropes. The Pandya brothers, Rohit Sharma, Pollard and De Kock all are known for their big hits. CSK to hit the most sixes also has odds of 2.62, which can be tempting with Dhoni, Watson and Du Plessis all capable of hitting many sixes.
- Bumrah to take 2 or more wickets has odds of 2.10 which is a given with his form, while Curran to take 2 or more wickets has odds of 2.40, which is attractive as he can snap up key middle-over wickets.
Our Top Betting Picks
- MI to win the match @1.60
- MI to hit the most sixes @2.10
- MI to have the Highest Opening Partnership @1.84
- Bumrah to be RR’s top bowler @3.00